I want to start off by saying that this was the hardest and the most challenging project I prepared this year -including the Word Search project! This was mostly because my partner and I lack in technology skills, especially me. I couldn’t even put a cover page on the homepage, so usually Derin and I prepared technologic components of the project when we were together.

               When we were looking for an essential question to use for our project, we couldn’t find a question worth it since we didn’t have much limitation. It would be much easier if Ms. Shabdin had limited us to a distinctive topic like examining the poems of one specific poet so that Ms. Shabdin can grade this project accordingly. After some struggle, we decided to use the essential question “How does imagery support the theme of the poem?” which still wasn’t that restricted, but it seemed like it was going to work well.

               When we started to search for poems to use for our project, I couldn’t actually think of any so I checked the poetry packet and tried to find some that contained strong imagery and a clear theme so that we could compare and contrast them even though I hadn’t actually thought about how to compare them, I hadn’t even thought about their relation! I just knew that imagery in poetry makes the readers think about images and illustrations described in the poem.

               Then, as I searched, I discovered that imagery really contributes to the theme of the poem. Without imagery, not just the theme but the poem itself would be so boring that it wouldn’t be bearable. The most important realization I had was when we were preparing “Theme Comparison” because we compared two poems with the same theme and as we did, we comprehended that imagery differs in two ways:describing qualities and describing actions. This was like an epiphany for me, it made so much sense.

               We used plenty of technologic aids. Ms. Hoffman helped us a lot along the way. First of all, we -no wonder- used Weebly. We used Animoto to prepare the creative video we put in the Home page and we used it as a “hook” for the website; we wanted it to grab the viewers’ attention. Additionally, we used SoundCloud in order to combine the voice of Derin reciting “A Dog Has Died” and the song “Death of A Martian” by Red Hot Chili Peppers. We used PresentMe in order to record the video presentations in Analysis of a Technique. YouTube wasn’t supposed to be used but when PresentMe didn’t work on “The Road Not Taken”, the second analysis we wanted to prepare, we had to upload our video and presentation on YouTube and embed it into Weebly in order to build a “PresentMe effect”, and the result wasn’t too unsuccessful, it worked pretty well actually.

               Now that Derin and I are finished with this project, we figured out that imagery really assists and goes along with theme of the poem, no smart poet would use the phrase “Shining was the bright yellow sun / The world is happy and fun” in a sadness-themed poem not just because it sucks, but because it doesn’t get along with the theme of the poem. Overall, we understood that imagery helps the theme very much and it makes the poem more gripping and entertaining.




Leave a Reply.

    Author

    Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.

    Archives

    March 2013

    Categories

    All